Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dabbling in the local trade...

I'm a serial browser.  Seriously.  Online, botiques, high streets, antiques, parchment, electronics, real estate...I don't discriminate.  I don't even physically purchase that often, honest!  I am just addicted to browsing, and have never met a shop I don't like.  I can do as much damage in the Dollar General as I can in Nordstroms...really, don't challenge me.  As my sister can attest, I like to share my findings in emails of the following format:

Subject: "check these out" or "new obsessions" or, the less elusive, "I want"

Body:
link to item #1
link to item #2
link to item #3
link to item #4
.
.
.
.
Link to item #14

thoughts?

Signed,
M

With this new platform in which to share my musings, my penchant for "browsing", and my list-making tendencies, I can now make public my eye/tastes/visions/material desires.  In other words, here is a glorified Wish List in case anyone's looking to bequeath me a large sum of money, or shower me with frivolous gifts.

This is a tabulation of British persuasion as the Brits who are fashionable, are quite fashionable.

1. Lanvin + Chanel - a couple hundred bucks = these.
If I combined all the money I've spent on fashion magazines, I might be able to afford the pair of Lanvin flats I consistently read about.  Enter omnipotence paradox.  I kid, I kid.  But really, if I saved all the $4.99's to secure my pair of something lovely, how would I know what that lovely should be?  In lieu, I think I'll work on procuring this budget friendly version from the local House of Fraser (British Macy's).

2. I 'bow' to you, Anya Hindmarch
Any designer who uses a bow as his/her logo is a friend of mine.  I've been declaring for weeks now that my summer bag will be navy blue.  I've scoured my trusty sites, magazines, and importantly, the streets for the red velvet (I don't like creme brulee) of purses, and I think this is it.  Neutral navy body for versatility, black patent details for a touch of fancy, and rugged camel leather straps.  I think I will.

3. These really take me back
I might feel like a 5 year old sporting these, but I love them all the same.  I abused the whole bow wearing stage, taking it further into my teen years than I care to admit (I went to an all girls school...my plethora of bows in a variety of colors and patterns was merely a way to express myself in those formative years).

4. Just waiting for Ed McMahon to show up at my door...
Because that's the day I'll buy these $800 puppies.  Come on though, you're drooling too...even the few male members of my family that are reading this.  Perfect color, perfect punk-wannabe neon detailing, perfect bowed stiletto.  I'll stop before professing my undying love.

5. More suitable for my lifestyle
The 'clumsy' in this blog's title isn't just another adjective.  I happened to rank up there with the cast of Jackass for the Most Accident Prone superlative...only I'm not doing it on purpose.  I spill, trip, rip and/or break things daily (so far today I've given the carpet in our den a fresh coat of shepherds pie AND managed to accidentally quadruple the amount of butter necessary in the "add butter only" box of easy bake cookies but more on that later).  My point is that plastic shoes are a slice of genius for someone like me.  They are indestructable, able to be hosed down, give more easily when you misstep and roll your ankle, and can probably be recycled?  Maybe?  The lush color combo doesn't hurt either.  Chinese red and light blue has always and will always be a fave of mine.

6. Everyone needs a day clutch
This friendly clutch would accompany anything!  Gotta go grey, I say.  Big enough to fill with the uneccessary, industrial enough to throw on the ground whilst lunching at a cafe, and a pink grossgrain ribbon to boot!  Not bad, methinks.  Not bad at all.

7. Don't mess with homegirl.
That's precisely what this bracelet says, and exactly why I need one.  I travel a lot these days and I truly believe someone contemplating attack might step off after glimpsing this badass number.

8. I'm like a barracuda...attracted to shiny things.
Anyone would be attracted to these sweet little purses and their cheeky embossed phrases.  I'd fill my Maintenance Kitty with the German delicacy that is Labello, whatever form of concealor I'm currently test driving and my bottled star, Angel (no matter what season).













That about sums up my material desires here in the UK.  Now I need to go read my book (Same Kind of Different as Me - definitely recommend) to remind myself that I have interests and talents other than "browsing".

No comments:

Post a Comment