Friday, April 9, 2010

Hight Tea...my style

brand of choice.

Though my affinity for tea consumption is something of the last 9 months, it has always been a part of my life, and frankly more constant than any material possession I've had to date.  My Mom has always been/will always be an avid tea drinker.  I could quite easily prepare her morning brew with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back, as it's an act I've witnessed and participated in for the greater part of my life. 

To this day, our mug cupboard (there is a cabinet dedicated entirely to mugs alone that mock you with teetering movement every time you open the door) provides a surplus of comfortably handled canteens, most of which I can recall precise origins.  There are alumni mugs a-plenty from our copious academic endeavors, those hailing from the several charities/organizations for which we serve/contribute, the sports ones because we're all suckered into it every once in a while, the misshapen beauts painstakingly created by yours truly, and the random few that cause morning callers to ponder, "are these people normal?".  The vast majority of them are tea stained to an inch of their life, and those on the front line have the latest rosey Estee Lauder shade printed on them as the dishwasher perseveringly fails to remove lipstick pigment.

I've always enjoyed tea - British, of course, loaded with milk and sugar - but fell victim to coffee and espresso in my collegiate years as it was the only way I could survive Statistics and Anthropology, although I suppose that was my fault for choosing a university that required 2 full years of prerequisite classes, the bulk of which I forgot as soon as the classroom clock ticked minute 50.  Then, I entered the working world of 6 AM wake up calls, after a short stint in childscreamingcare - both requiring coffee multiple times daily.  I still love coffee, but there's a different mentality associated with it for me.

and so we've arrived at my current place, Now, where leisurely teas, 3+ times daily, have become the norm.  In an ode to my love of tea, and my Mom, I present you these 'tea accoutrements' to make those 3+ times daily that much more aesthetically pleasing.

1. Alessi Michael Graves cordless electric kettle.

This is my dream kettle.  It's sleek, stylish, has bird detail, and withstands use in multiple countries as it's cordless.  It's a gem and I'm currently drooling into my 2nd cup of tea today.




I'm not usually a fan of food/drink themed artwork in kitchens, but this is an exception.  If I had my own kitchen (or the desire to pay the VAT to ship this to Germany only to ship it back one day), I'd hang this in it.  I love the gray color and graphic print that has a bit of a propaganda feel.



Owls may be a trend, but my love for them is deep, true and Kappa Kappa Gamma blue.  That comment had the perfect level of sorority cheese to it, as intended of course.  But really, this set I found on etsy is so fantastic that I actually need it.  I may order it to my parents house...something I've been pledging to do a lot of recently, as I'll be stateside so soon!  And since it's on etsy, my funds would surely be supporting a starving artist, ergo classifying this a socially conscious purchase.  I'll justify spending on anything.  Try me.




These mugs are beyond brilliant.  I cannot take credit, as our neighbors in Munich have a bunch of them, but they actually accomplish making whatever you're drinking better.  When I visit their flat, I'm typically served in the "posh totty" mug, while my dear friend imbibes from the "desperate housewife" variety.  If you peruse the site, there are hundreds of them.  I've showcased a few favorites above, and have already picked out the ones I'll eventually own by family member:

Mom: "back seat driver"
Dad: "guv'nor"
Brother: "prodigal son"
Sister: "bleeding heart liberal"
Bro2: "footballer"
KC: "hypochondriac" (we can share he he he)
Me: "dictator" (I kid, I kid...although there is one that says that)

Clearly I'd get a few extras too...



5. Cow Creamer

I don't really care what it looks like, as long as it's authentically cow-esque.  I just feel like everyone needs a good cow creamer in case of emergency.


Until I accumulate some of the above devices, I'm left to sip my tea, from water boiled in a sauce pot, in the miniature tacky gluhwein mugs from the Munich Christmas markets (we own like 6)...
Good news is, tea is great regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment